Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A New Beginning....Again

I have always heard people say "This book changed my life", and always wondered how that could happen. Well, now I know. I set off to read this book, by Sherri Shepherd from The View thinking I would get a good laugh out of it. Well, it turned out to be much more than a few laughs. She woke me up. 

If any of you reading this know me personally, you know I am very overweight. Even if you don't know me personally, you may have seen a picture or two that reflects that. Well, I also have Type 2 Diabetes and am on oral medication for it. Also, if you know anything about me at all, you know I have an AMAZING five year old son, named Gavin. He has broken through some great obstacles over his short life, and I am more amazed by him every day. And, I am all he has. I am a single parent. I have no help from anyone else to take care of him, and that is how it has been since Day One. The reason I bring that up is, because if I weren't around, he would have no one. I always knew that in the back of my mind, but I just kind of ignored it. Until I read this book.

Sherri Shepherd is a stand-up comic, actress, Co-host of The View and also a single mother with Diabetes. Her son was premature (just like my son), and has some delays. She wrote this book and in it describes her struggles every day to eat right and exercise, because she wants to see her son grow up. I really could relate, and I decided to do something about it. I prayed about it. Sherri is also a Christian, and in her book she talks about God a lot. I asked God to help me make some major decisions. I joined a gym, and I have started eating a little better. I am still not eating like I should, but I am taking steps toward it. I am taking my medicine as I should. I have made a commitment that on days my son is in school (Monday through Thursday), I will be at the gym. I have not skipped a day, yet. It has only been a few days, but I feel a little bit better. 

She writes about many other things in this book, and I think all women would get something from it. Check it out, it is a very good read. This woman shows lots of strength. She is a human being more than just a celebrity. This book is available all over, so look it up. I got our local library to get it, before I had even read it, and before I started working there. I am so glad I did. I hope it changes others, or at least makes people think.

I just wanted to take the time to thank Sherri for writing this book. I know that God gave her the words, and He led me to read them for a reason. This book has changed my life.




2 comments:

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said... Best Blogger Tips

WOW!!! So proud of you!!! Even though we've only "known" each other a short time, I would love to call you friend!!!
My dear hubs is overweight (who am I kidding, I am, too!) and has diabetes but has not been taking care of himself like he should. When he started this new job last month, he started taking the stairs...three stories and a huge Las Colinas ofc complex! He is losing weight and is finding it easier to get around!
Praying for you as I know the days can be difficult! God bless you!!!

PJ said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey Mel! PJ here! First off, thank you for blessing me with your presence on my "follower's board". I hope my posts will give you encouragement and a lift at least most of the time. I also have Type 2 diabetes. I like to think of it as pre-diabetes, even though the Dr. just calls it Diabetes. I don't have it nearly as bad as a lot of people I know. Their's run anywhere from 180-250. (My hubby and best friend). Mine (fasting) runs 111-120. Anyway, I send you "kudos" for getting out and going to work. I've known a few people who are VERY overweight that just sat at home and received welfare, as well as some who weren't overweight and had no health problems. God Bless You Mel!

PJ

How Many People Have Been Here?