Friday, June 29, 2012

I Am Gavin's Mom

I really enjoy being a mom. If you haven't been able to tell from my previous posts, I love my son with all my heart. He is the best gift I have ever been given, and I am blessed that he calls me mom. I never thought I would be a mom, and although he was unplanned, I can not imagine my life without him. He is far from a perfect child, and I am far from a perfect mom, but we somehow have made it work, in our own way, for the last 7 and a half years. 

I sometimes wish I was more like other women I see, and be great moms like them. You know the ones. Maybe you ARE one. The ones that feed their children the best food. The ones that always remain calm and loving, even when their children have done something wrong, and use nice sweet, calm voices to convey their messages. The ones that are crafty, and do all kinds of neat things with their kids, or for their kids. And, then there are the ones that always keep their houses clean, or that spend lots of time doing fun things with their kids. The cool moms. Some people I know possess all of the qualities I just mentioned, and some only possess one or two, but I share none of those qualities, really.

I feed my kid junk food or processed food on occasion. Not all the time, but sometimes. I cook several times a week, though, and try to include healthy foods, as well as healthy snacks in his daily meals. I am not always calm and loving. I get anxious, and yell sometimes, when Gavin "just ain't acting right." He knows I love him, and he gets me, though. I would never, ever hurt him or say anything to hurt him, though. I am FAR from crafty. Well, I can look up stuff online, and follow directions, when I need to, and we have done a few craft projects on our own, but most of the time, I am just not crafty. About the clean house, well, yeah...not me. I try, but I am just not a great housekeeper. He stays clean, all his clothes stay clean, and he eats using clean plates and utensils. I would never put him in danger by being unsanitary, or living in horrid conditions. We do try to do some fun things, though. That's one thing I try to do with Gavin, but I can't do as much as some. He has never been to Disney World, or on a boat, or done a lot of the most amazing things I have seen other people doing with their kids. Maybe someday...Oh yeah, and the cool moms...some moms just ooze "cool"...heck, I wish they were my mom sometimes! I am just a mom, that tries her best, with what she has.

I am what I am, though...I am Gavin's Mom. I still remember the first time I signed the papers for his Social Security card while I was in the hospital, and I had to write my relationship to him, and I wrote "Mother." That was when it really hit me that I was his mother, that I was now responsible for another human being for the first time in my life. Sometimes I wonder how God thought I was capable of raising this child, but God doesn't make mistakes, so I know it was the plan. I know I have made mistakes, and I know I will make more, but no matter what, this is what I was meant to do. And, this is what I will do for the rest of my life. I will be a mother. Gavin's mother. I will do whatever is necessary to meet the needs of my son, no matter what is going on in my life. I am truly blessed and grateful to be called mom.

Thanks for reading.
-Mel

0 comments:

How Many People Have Been Here?