Thursday, June 28, 2012

There's No Place Like Home!

As grateful as I am that we were able to stay in the Ronald McDonald House for two nights, in preparation for, and after, Gavin's surgery, I have never been happier to be sitting at home in my broken-down recliner, sipping an iced cold pop in a glass sitting next to me on my coffee table, with my little guy on the couch across from me, playing his iPod. Yes, that was a very long sentence, but it is VERY true!

At the Ronald McDonald House, they have rules in place, that are completely understandable, to make life comfortable and clean for everyone, like no drinks or food in each room, or living areas, only in the kitchens. I am someone who almost always has a drink next to me, although it is usually water, and I am not sure if that is allowed, but I had that with me in my room there. I hope I wasn't breaking any rules. I am just glad to be home in my own house, and where I can use my own bathroom. The RMHC is still an AMAZING place, and I would recommend it to anyone who needed to be go somewhere because they had something going on with their child medically and needed a place to stay out of town.

Ok, on to Gavin's surgery: it went PERFECT! He had absolutely no nausea afterwards, thanks to some wonderful thinking anesthesiologists who gave him some extra nausea meds at the end  of his surgery, to combat it, since I had warned them he had trouble the last two times. He was, however, VERY "doped up" and doesn't even remember several hours, and couldn't move on his own for a while. He was in and out for several hours, even after they discharged him. He thought he had X-ray vision at one point. He told me the last thing he remembered was being in the OR and the room starting to spin when he was breathing through the breathing mask (that smelled like grape), and then he went to sleep, and the next thing he remembers, he was in the room at Ronald McDonald House and had X-Ray vision...lol. A LOT happened between that, but that's okay. Even after he started coming back, it took him a while to get his legs back, and we had borrowed a wheelchair, so I was pushing him around in it until I felt comfortable that he wouldn't fall. Once he was able to walk on his own, he was back to normal. Since then, he has just bounced back completely! If someone didn't know he had surgery yesterday, they never would know it,  unless they looked directly at his eye. He is hardly in any pain, just a little uncomfortable when he blinks. That's because he has stitches in his eye.

His biggest deal is that we thought he would have restrictions for only two weeks, because that is what I had read when I researched, but his doctor has said he wants his restrictions to be FOUR weeks. That means four weeks of no swimming, no baseball, no bike riding, etc, etc, etc... He is NOT thrilled with this fact, because during these four weeks there will be two swimming parties that he was invited to (one being his best friend, who you can read about here), his baseball league tournament, and a hike with his cub scout pack. He doesn't want him climbing, or doing any rough activities, which pretty much sums up his summer outdoor activities. He is super active, and I don't know how I am going to keep him from doing these things, except to keep him indoors. Even indoors, he seems to find ways to do these things. Last time he had this done, it was winter, so there was not a problem keeping him from doing these things. So, these next four weeks are going to be a challenge, but  I am sure we will get through them without too many problems. 

I just want to say that I am so very grateful that all went well, and that he is already bouncing back so easily, and ready to take on the world so quickly. I love my little man, and I am glad he didn't have to suffer through anything too rough.

Thanks for reading!
-Mel


1 comments:

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Well, it sounds like he is doing great!!! That's wonderful!

How Many People Have Been Here?