Saturday, June 30, 2012

Recipe Queen!

Anyone that knows me, knows I love to cook. I have always loved to cook, and when I was in high school, I seriously wanted to go to school to be able to cook professionally. Things didn't quite happen that way, and life went on, and I continued to cook. Sometimes I come up with my own creations, but I have found many recipes online throughout the years. Since I began eating differently, I began cooking a little differently, and researching healthier recipes. I have recipes printed out all over my apartment, bookmarked on my computer, and books of recipes in a tote sitting in my living room. I am always on the hunt for new things to try, that Gavin will also like. 

A few weeks ago, we started receiving our CSA produce. CSA stands for Community Shared Agriculture. That basically means that I paid ahead for a share of produce that I receive once a week, from a local farm. Since beginning to receive the boxes, I have been working on finding new and fun ways to use the veggies I receive each week. Today, I wanted to do something with the cabbage I had, to go along with the pork chops I was making. I also had some red potatoes, so I did a Google search, and found this recipe! I had all the ingredients, with the exception of the scallions, and didn't feel like going out in the heat (we've had temps staying above 100 degrees) for ONE thing, so I decided to just go ahead and make it, without the scallions. It turned out delicious! 

Another plan I have for this week is to make this zucchini bread and this squash bread. I had never heard of squash bread, but searched for it, and found this recipe, and read the reviews, so I was intrigued. We have tons of zucchini and yellow squash that I need to use, and so I am always looking to try new things. I have had a couple awesome squash casseroles, but am still looking for more ideas.

Each week, we never know what exact veggies we will get until we pick up our box, but I enjoy going through the box, and then trying to plan my week of meals around the produce that's inside it. I hope I can come up with some neat ideas!

Thanks for reading!
-Mel

0 comments:

How Many People Have Been Here?